NEW Hardiman PhD Scholarships Available
NUI Galway is inviting applications for Hardiman Research Scholarships, which are fully-funded 4-year PhD scholarships, for research across all disciplines in the university. The value of each Research Scholarship is a stipend of €16,000 per year (tax free) plus fees.
The deadline is 7 January 2012. You can find further information, including guidelines and the application procedure, at: http://www.nuigalway.ie/hardiman-scholarships/
I am always pleased to discuss research project ideas that are related to the Data Mining and Machine Learning Group's research activities:
- Artificial intelligence, data mining & machine learning
- Algorithms for classification and numeric prediction
- New methods for combining domain knowledge with data mining
- Time series data analysis
- Probability, reasoning under uncertainty, and Bayesian networks
- Reinforcement learning
- Practical applications of data mining and machine learning in science, engineering & medicine.
At present, for example, we are working on research ranging from methods to analyse chemical data and new techniques for monitoring patients in Intensive Care Units to non-player game characters that learn and improve over time.